Aviation Museum Delays Mohawk Arrival
Aviation Wing's hope to transport Grumman OV-1 Mohawk put on hold because of power of copter rotors. This tops the 5 Things for today.
1. The ever-growing Aviation Wing of the Marietta Museum of History had big plans for adding another key Marietta-based airship to the collection today, but an unexpected delay occured.
The force of winds created by the massive rotors of the Huey helicopter transporting the plane threatened to literally tear the roofs off of buildings at the site.
The museum planned to get a Grumman OV-1 Mohawk, which had served at the Army Aviation Facility in Winder with the Georgia Army National Guard from 1978-1985. Only 380 of these aircraft were built. The Mohawk, an observation and battlefied surveillence aircraft, first flew in 1959 and was retired in 1996. The museum has rescheduled the move for May 12.
2. Leadership Cobb 2011 is holding its annual concert and silent auction from 6:30 to 11 p.m. today at the Earl Smith Strand Theatre. The event will benefit the Center for Children & Young Adults Inc. The Fabulous Classics will provide the music. A cash bar and concessions will be available.
Tickets are $25 per person. To purchase tickets, call either Pamela Manning at 678-427-3630 or Christal McNair at 770-656-2641.
3. Even with a concert already going on downstairs, the Strand will still hold its weekly "Brew with a View" but with music provided by a CD player and not from a live person. Still, the view is one of the best in town with the visions of both Glover Park and Kennesaw Mountain available. And there is no cover charge or age limit (although it does require you to be at least 21 to add "brew" to the "view"). The event starts at 6 p.m.
4. The Stardust Dance Club will hold another evening of ballroom dancing from 7:45 to 10:30 p.m. at the West Cobb Senior Center. Call 770-528-8200 for details.
5. Today is International Bird Day. With the warm weather this week, probably a great time to check out and see what the feathery friends are up to.