Chill at Yoga, Cheer on Softball
Here's what you should know to start Aug. 18 in Marietta.
1. The humidity, the chance of rain and possibly the 90s return today, the National Weather Service says. The high will be about 90, and there’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. That rain possibility continues through the night, when the low will be around 68.
2. The volleyball teams from Marietta High School and the Walker School head to Northeast Cobb this evening for matches at Kell High, while the Marietta High softball team stays home for a 7:30 p.m. game against Sandy Springs’ Riverwood.
3. Babies R Talking has a free yoga class this afternoon at 3, thanks to the support of the Cobb County School District. An $8 charge applies for nonmembers who want to stay or arrive early for open play. Space for the yoga class is limited, and it requires advance registration. Call 678-361-2980 for details.
4. Today is your last chance to eat out and earn money for Communities in Schools of Marietta/Cobb County. Just print the attached Dine Out for Kids flier and bring it to breakfast, lunch or dinner with you. Participating Marietta restaurants are Williamson Bros. BBQ, West Cobb Diner, three Chick-fil-A locations (Macland Crossing Circle, Dallas Highway and Whitlock Avenue), Starlight Cafe, Marietta Diner, Pasta Bella and Australian Bakery Cafe. Here’s the full list of eateries participating.
5. The benefit concert canceled for Saturday night at a private home in East Cobb is back on, now on the roof of the French American Brasserie in downtown Atlanta, media outlets including the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Marietta Daily Journal report. Scott Smith, owner of Cobb County Kia, is behind the Gin Blossoms concert, called the Kia Soul Summer Series; it benefits the American Heart Association. According to a flier posted on the dealership’s Facebook page, tickets are $100 in advance and $125 at the door, including food and booze.