This week Frugal Family looks at those “Miracle," “Fast and Easy," inexpensive products that will make your life more convenient, “As Seen On TV.” If you haven’t noticed, you no longer have to order on impulse from the screaming person telling you to buy right now.
Many stores such at Garden Ridge, Walmart and most pharmacies carry the “As Seen On TV” products. Keeping the family in mind, here are five fun, interactive products that will, at the very least, amuse you and your family.
What are your favorite "As Seen on TV" products to use or laugh about?
1) Petite Pumpkin Patch. $9.99: Complete kit to produce mini-pumpkins on patio or inside home. Includes a pretty ceramic pumpkin planter, miniature pumpkin seeds, potting soil, potting cups. Makes 10 vines. Miniature watermelons and tiny tomato kits also available.
2) Perfect S’Mores in Five Minutes! $14.99: Enjoy a favorite campfire treat without the fire. Stack your ingredients in preformed cages, cook for five minutes and voila. You have six perfectly baked S’Mores and no mess. Great for a slumber party.
3) Roll'n Grow Flowers, $19.95: A 10”x10” predesigned flower garden you simply roll out and water. 2,000 seeds are imbedded in this seeded, biodegradable rollout mat. No shoveling, raking and digging. Perfect for gardens, borders, flower boxes, even flower pots.
4) Live Butterfly Garden, $19.99: Raise Five Painted Lady butterflies while learning all about metamorphosis. See each caterpillar's transition as it matures, changes into a chrysalid and finally emerges as a Painted Lady butterfly. After observing your butterflies, experience the joy of releasing them into your backyard. Includes colorful habitat, coupon for five butterfly larvae with special food, and complete instructions.
5) Criss Angel Magic Platinum Kit, $29.95: Criss Angel MINDFREAK Platinum Magic Kit, a comprehensive magic kit for beginners, intermediates and the most advanced mystifiers. Includes over 250 MINDFREAKs that you can perform, MINDFREAK props, Criss' step by step instructional video, Criss Angel cards, Criss' secret floating and secret utility devices, Criss Angel Personal practice tips and more. Learn some of Criss' best known secrets. As seen on MINDFREAK, #1 magic TV series of all time.
Just For Fun: Five of the Worst, Tasteless "As Seen On TV Products":
1) Better Marriage Blanket, $29.00 and Up: Created with the“same fabric used by the military to protect against chemical weapons,” the Better Marriage Blanket absorbs flatulent odors. It makes a highly insulting wedding or anniversary gift. Visit bettermarriageblanket.com to say “goodbye” to Dutch Ovens and “hello” to marital bliss.
2) NCIS Bert the Farting Hippo, $44.95: Everybody loves a big mouth—that is, when it belongs to this charming hippopotamus puppet. Bert the Hippo features a realistic contoured head, bewhiskered muzzle and speckled gray velboa fabric. Abby's infamous hippo includes a kid-friendly plush studded collar and realistic farting noise.
3) Spray on Hair, $9.99: Now called “My Secret Correctives," My Secret Root Touch-Up Spray conceals gray roots in seconds. My Secret Root Touch-Up Spray blends with your hair color for instant touch-ups that won’t flake or streak. Provides color where you want it, when you need it. Just avoid sweating or rain at all costs!
4) Uro Club, $24.95: The only golf club guaranteed to keep you out of the woods or jail. That’s because you pee in it. Billed as a “discrete sanitary solution for your urgent relief,” the Uro Club’s grip twists off to reveal a built-in reservoir. The device comes with a clip-around-the-waist towel to fool course marshals into thinking you are just checking out your club. Meanwhile, the joke is on them because you’re taking a leak. Buy the Uro Club for $24.95 (plus shipping and handling) at uroclub.com and never get kicked off the course for public urination again.
5) AromaTrim, $49.95: Smell your way into weight loss. You sniff; you lose weight. Don't let the content smile on that lady's face on the ad fool you, though. There's a catch. AromaTrim is (was in the US, but it's still sold in Asian markets) a Zippo-sized hunk of plastic you whip out whenever you start to feel hungry. The plastic is designed to smell like vomit. Really. Oh, Lord, it just doesn't get any worse than this!
NOTE: If you can't find one of these products at a local retail store, go to www.asseenontv.com or do a keyword search by product.