Marietta Pedestrian Killed
A 79-year-old woman entered the roadway for reasons unknown and was struck by a Nissan.
Investigators do not expect to file charges in a fatal pedestrian accident that occurred Wednesday evening in East Cobb.
Just after 7 p.m., a 25-year-old Marietta woman was driving east on Roswell Road when Maria D. Roxo of Marietta entered the roadway for reasons unknown, said Sgt. Dana Pierce, the spokesman for the Cobb County Police Department.
The 25-year-old, who was driving a white Nissan 300 ZX in the right turn lane, struck Roxo, Pierce said.
Roxo, 79, was taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
If you have information about this accident, call 770-499-3987.
The area has seen several accidents involving vehicles hitting pedestrians:
- A pedestrian crossing Cobb Parkway near Allgood Road died in February after being hit by a car.
- In January, a driver veered onto a sidewalk on Franklin Road and struck a pedestrian.
- A pedestrian was hit on South Cobb Drive and later pronounced dead in November.
- A man was crossing Powder Springs Street in the crosswalk, against the pedestrian traffic signal, when he was struck by a vehicle at the Chestnut Hill Road intersection in November.
- A female pedestrian was hit and killed in a crash on Sandtown Road in Marietta in September.
- A Marietta Police officer was seriously injured in August when he was hit by a car while conducting traffic.
- A 2000 Toyota Corolla struck a pedestrian while she was attempting to cross South Cobb Drive near Appleton Drive in May.
- A 21-year-old Marietta man was hit by a car while crossing Roswell Road at North Marietta Parkway.
- In April, a Marietta man was killed trying to cross Austell Road just north of Hicks Road.
- A man suffered serious injuries when he walked across Atlanta Road south of Old Clay Street and was struck by a red 1991 Ford Mustang,
- A 50-year-old man crossing South Marietta Parkway, by Southern Polytechnic State University, was struck by a car Feb. 25, 2012, and died at Kennestone Hospital.
- Wendy Nolan, 39, was struck by a red 2004 Toyota Corolla on Feb. 24, 2012, while crossing Austell Road south of Marietta. Nolan was pronounced dead at Kennestone Hospital.
- Preston Lee Hester, 62, of Greensboro, NC, was trying to cross Powder Springs Road against the light on Feb. 23, 2012, when he was hit by a green 2002 Toyota Camry that was traveling north on Powder Springs Road on a green light.
- Former McEachern football coach Charles Collins, 66, of Smyrna was killed just on Feb. 23, 2012, when he was hit by a white 2004 Chevrolet Silverado while he was trying to cross Atlanta Road in Smyrna.