Musicals Light Up Marietta This Weekend
If you missed one of last weekend's performances in Marietta, there is still time to catch it! "The Best of Broadway" at the Strand, "Legally Blonde" at the Civic Center, "Avenue Q" at the Alley Stage and "Sweeney Todd" are playing.
1. The bright lights of Broadway are coming to Marietta Square in a high-energy musical revue of fast paced fun with knockout voices and jaw-dropping dancers performing the very best songs from the heart of the American theatre industry.
The Best of Broadway is the first of this year’s Strand produced revues to have a two weekend run through August 18.
2. Legally Blonde the Musical is coming to stage at The Cobb Civic Center’s Jennie T. Anderson Theatre through August 26. Get your pink on and join Atlanta Lyric Theatre for this all-singing, all-dancing, feel-good musical comedy.
3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is a 1979 musical thriller with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and libretto by Hugh Wheeler. Catch the production at 3380 Canton Rd, Marietta at 7 p.m. on Aug. 17 and Aug. 18 and 3 p.m. on Aug. 18.
4. Avenue Q is coming to Next Stage Theatre Company's Alley Stage on Aug. 16, 17 and 18 at 8 p.m. and on Aug. 18 at 3 p.m.
Part flesh, part felt, and packed with heart, Avenue Q is a laugh-out-loud musical that tells the timeless story of a recent college grad named Princeton who moves into a New York apartment on Avenue Q.
5. Join the Marietta Trolley Co. for a ride through Marietta history Thursday through Saturday at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Highlights of the tour include Marietta Square/Glover Park, the Western & Atlantic Depot, National Cemetery, Tranquilla, Kennesaw Mountain and the Root House.
6. Walk the streets of haunted Marietta by lantern light with the Ghosts of Marietta Walking Ghost Tour. Tours are 90 minutes and the walk is under a mile. Tours are Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8:30 p.m.
7. Don't forget about the Marietta Square Farmers Market on Saturday, 9 a.m. to noon and Sunday, 12 to 3 p.m.