Pedestrian Hit Crossing Powder Springs Street
An man was crossing Powder Springs Street in the crosswalk, against the pedestrian traffic signal, when he was struck by a vehicle at the Chestnut Hill Road intersection.
Marietta Police are investigating a serious pedestrian crash that occurred on Powder Springs Street at the Chestnut Hill Road intersection Friday night.
An adult male, whose name is being withheld pending family notification, was crossing Powder Springs Street in the crosswalk, against the pedestrian traffic signal. He was struck by a vehicle traveling southbound on Powder Springs Street in the right straight lane.
The driver of the vehicle, 34-year-old Nicholas Archer of Marietta, told police that he did not see the pedestrian until impact occurred.
The pedestrian is currently in stable but in critical condition at Kennestone Hospital. Charges in this case are pending.
The area has seen several accidents involving vehicles hitting pedestrians:
- Last week a Smyrna man was hit on South Cobb Drive and later pronounced dead.
- A female pedestrian was hit and killed in a crash on Sandtown Road in Marietta in September.
- A Marietta Police officer was seriously injured in August when he was hit by a car while conducting traffic.
- A 2000 Toyota Corolla struck a pedestrian while she was attempting to cross South Cobb Drive near Appleton Drive in May.
- A 21-year-old Marietta man was hit by a car while crossing Roswell Road at North Marietta Parkway.
- In April, a Marietta man was killed trying to cross Austell Road just north of Hicks Road.
- A man suffered serious injuries when he walked across Atlanta Road south of Old Clay Street and was struck by a red 1991 Ford Mustang,
- A 50-year-old man crossing South Marietta Parkway, by Southern Polytechnic State University, was struck by a car Feb. 25 and died at Kennestone Hospital.
- Wendy Nolan, 39, was struck by a red 2004 Toyota Corolla on Feb. 24 while crossing Austell Road south of Marietta. Nolan was pronounced dead at Kennestone Hospital.
- Preston Lee Hester, 62, of Greensboro, NC, was trying to cross Powder Springs Road against the light on Feb. 23 when he was hit by a green 2002 Toyota Camry that was traveling north on Powder Springs Road on a green light.
- Former McEachern football coach Charles Collins, 66, of Smyrna was killed just on Feb. 23 when he was hit by a white 2004 Chevrolet Silverado while he was trying to cross Atlanta Road in Smyrna.