A pedestrian crossing Cobb Parkway near Allgood Road died Monday night after being hit by a car, according to Marietta Police.
The male victim's name is being withheld pending notification of kin, according to police.
The accident occurred around 8:55 p.m. Monday when a maroon 2001 Mercedes 320 was heading southbound on Cobb Parkway, just north of Allgood Road. The vehicle struck the pedestrian, who police said was crossing Cobb Parkway outside of the crosswalk.
The pedestrian was taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital, where he died, according to police.
The driver of the Mercedes was identified as Diane Sherman, 56, of Marietta, but police said no charges are expected to be filed, and no other injuries were reported.
Southbound traffic on Cobb Parkway was shut down for a time as the investigation got underway.
Anyone with information about the accident is asked to call Marietta Police Officer Geoff Culpepper at 770-794-5357.
The area has seen several accidents involving vehicles hitting pedestrians:
- In January, a driver veered onto a sidewalk on Franklin Road and struck a pedestrian.
- A pedestrian was hit on South Cobb Drive and later pronounced dead in November.
- A man was crossing Powder Springs Street in the crosswalk, against the pedestrian traffic signal, when he was struck by a vehicle at the Chestnut Hill Road intersection in November.
- A female pedestrian was hit and killed in a crash on Sandtown Road in Marietta in September.
- A Marietta Police officer was seriously injured in August when he was hit by a car while conducting traffic.
- A 2000 Toyota Corolla struck a pedestrian while she was attempting to cross South Cobb Drive near Appleton Drive in May.
- A 21-year-old Marietta man was hit by a car while crossing Roswell Road at North Marietta Parkway.
- In April, a Marietta man was killed trying to cross Austell Road just north of Hicks Road.
- A man suffered serious injuries when he walked across Atlanta Road south of Old Clay Street and was struck by a red 1991 Ford Mustang,
- A 50-year-old man crossing South Marietta Parkway, by Southern Polytechnic State University, was struck by a car Feb. 25, 2012, and died at Kennestone Hospital.
- Wendy Nolan, 39, was struck by a red 2004 Toyota Corolla on Feb. 24, 2012, while crossing Austell Road south of Marietta. Nolan was pronounced dead at Kennestone Hospital.
- Preston Lee Hester, 62, of Greensboro, NC, was trying to cross Powder Springs Road against the light on Feb. 23, 2012, when he was hit by a green 2002 Toyota Camry that was traveling north on Powder Springs Road on a green light.
- Former McEachern football coach Charles Collins, 66, of Smyrna was killed just on Feb. 23, 2012, when he was hit by a white 2004 Chevrolet Silverado while he was trying to cross Atlanta Road in Smyrna.