Pedestrian Struck, Dies After Crash
A 63-year-old Marietta man was traveling southbound on South Cobb Drive in a Jeep Cherokee, and a 55-year-old Smyrna man was attempting to cross South Cobb Drive.
A pedestrian was hit on South Cobb Drive and later pronounced dead Sunday night, according to the Cobb County Police Department.
Authorities say Jose Luis Zamarripa-Perez of Smyrna, 55, was attempting to cross South Cobb Drive near the intersection of Waldrep Circle at about 7:45 p.m. when he was struck by a black 1990 Jeep Cherokee.
Preliminary investigation suggests that Zamarripa-Perez was walking westbound and not at a pedestrian crosswalk. The driver, 63-year-old Nafisa V. Sheriff of Marietta, was traveling southbound on South Cobb Drive.
Zamarripa-Perez was transported by ambulance to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital, but was pronounced dead upon arrival.
The collision is still being investigated, but Cobb police say no charges are expected to be filed against the driver.
Anyone with information about this fatality collision is asked to call 770-499-3987.
The area has seen several accidents involving vehicles hitting pedestrians:
- A female pedestrian was hit and killed in a crash on Sandtown Road in Marietta in September.
- A Marietta Police officer was seriously injured in August when he was hit by a car while conducting traffic.
- A 2000 Toyota Corolla struck a pedestrian while she was attempting to cross South Cobb Drive near Appleton Drive in May.
- A 21-year-old Marietta man was hit by a car while crossing Roswell Road at North Marietta Parkway.
- In April, a Marietta man was killed trying to cross Austell Road just north of Hicks Road.
- A man suffered serious injuries when he walked across Atlanta Road south of Old Clay Street and was struck by a red 1991 Ford Mustang,
- A 50-year-old man crossing South Marietta Parkway, by Southern Polytechnic State University, was struck by a car Feb. 25 and died at Kennestone Hospital.
- Wendy Nolan, 39, was struck by a red 2004 Toyota Corolla on Feb. 24 while crossing Austell Road south of Marietta. Nolan was pronounced dead at Kennestone Hospital.
- Preston Lee Hester, 62, of Greensboro, NC, was trying to cross Powder Springs Road against the light on Feb. 23 when he was hit by a green 2002 Toyota Camry that was traveling north on Powder Springs Road on a green light.
- Former McEachern football coach Charles Collins, 66, of Smyrna was killed just on Feb. 23 when he was hit by a white 2004 Chevrolet Silverado while he was trying to cross Atlanta Road in Smyrna.