Memorial Day is only three weeks away, meaning summer vacation season is almost here.
But with gas prices still above $3.50 a gallon and round-trip airfare for a family of four running more than $1,200 to get just about anywhere, a staycation is an enticing option.
You avoid the expense and stress of travel. You don’t have to stop the mail or board the pets. But you still get the time away from work and with your family.
The challenge is to avoid getting bored or spending hour after hour in front of the TV. That’s where staycation destinations come into play.
You need entertaining options for the whole family, from parks to museums to historical sites. That’s what this week’s Readers’ Choice is all about.
What’s your favorite place to go in Cobb, Cherokee, Douglas, Paulding and Bartow counties to spend a morning or afternoon with your family? What’s your pick for a staycation destination?
Here are your options in this week’s poll:
- Acworth Beach/Cauble Park (Acworth).
- Allatoona Pass Battlefield (Cartersville).
- Booth Western Art Museum (Cartersville).
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (East Cobb).
- Cherokee County History Museum and Visitors Center (Canton).
- Downtown Woodstock (Dean’s Store, The Park at City Center and more).
- Etowah Indian Mounds State Historic Site (Cartersville).
- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (Marietta/Kennesaw).
- Lost Mountain Park (West Cobb).
- Marietta Square (Glover Park, Marietta Gone with the Wind Museum, Marietta Museum of History, Marietta-Cobb Museum of Art and more).
- Pine Mountain Recreation Area (Cartersville).
- Red Top Mountain State Park (Cartersville).
- Seven Springs Museum (West Cobb).
- Smith-Gilbert Gardens (Kennesaw).
- Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History (Kennesaw).
- Stars & Strikes (Dallas-Hiram).
- Sweetwater Creek State Park (Douglasville).
- Tanglewood Farm (Holly Springs-Hickory Flat).
- Tellus Science Museum (Cartersville).
We can’t add any other options to this week’s poll, but if your favorite staycation destination isn’t on the list, let us know in the comments for next time.
You have until 9 a.m. Friday to vote and support your local attraction against those in nearby Patches.
The winner will be based equally on the poll results and on positive reviews and ratings on the directory listings for the businesses. So after you vote in the poll, be sure to click on the name of the destination above to give your pick a five-star rating and review.
If there's a tie, we'll break it based on the most positive comments, so tell us why you chose your favorite staycation destination spot in the comment space below.
We will announce the winner at noon Friday.