1. Join dk Gallery Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. for a book signing of “Quarter-Peeled Oranges.” This book of poems written by Marietta neurologist Bruce Gillett is a tribute to his wife, Dale Gillett, who lost her 17 year battle with breast cancer. The book began as grief writing and evolved into a poetic love story. Quarter-Peeled Oranges includes illustrations by Bill Needs, a vocational rehabilitation counselor. Learn more about this beautiful love story.
3. Come out to the Mardi Gras Run 5K on Saturday (5K 8 a.m. 1K 8:45 a.m., Tot Trot 9 a.m.). Start and finish is on the square in downtown Marietta. Proceeds will benefit ongoing community projects of the Junior League of Cobb-Marietta.
4. Marietta Tree Keepers will hold a Tree Planting Event at YWCA, 48 Henderson St. SW, on Saturday from 9 to 11 a.m. Come at 8:30 a.m. to sign-in and for refreshments. You can help plant 13 trees and lay pine straw at the YWCA.
One of A Kind will showcase some of its favorite furniture pieces inside the store and outside during its furniture sidewalk sale. Free demonstrations will take place throughout the day on glazing, waxing and distressing furniture, taking place at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
6. Join the Central Library for the second-annual African American History Month Gala. The Cobb County Public Library System invites you to an afternoon of entertainment, culture and history in celebration of African American History Month. Scheduled performers and presenters include the A.L. Burruss Unity Drummers, the Zion Liturgical Dancers, the South Cobb High School Steppers, Deane Bonner of the Cobb NAACP and Ravan Durr. For more information, call 770-528-7953.
7. The Strand will be presenting An Affair to Remember on Saturday at 8 p.m. Handsome playboy Nicky Ferrante and beautiful night club singer Terry McKay have a romance while on a cruise from Europe to New York. Despite being engaged to other people, both agree to reunite at the top of the Empire State Building in six months. However, an unfortunate accident keeps Terry from the reunion, and Nicky fears that she has married or does not love him anymore. Will he discover the truth behind her absence and reunite with his one true love, or has fate and destiny passed them by?
Get there early for an organ pops sing along at 7:30 by Strand organist Ron Carter.
8. Come out to the Marietta Square Farmers Market on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon. The city market takes place every Saturday.