The is launching its 2012 Summer Reading Program, and dreamers of all ages are invited to participate. This year’s theme is “Dream Big—READ!”
The 2012 Summer Reading Program begins on June 1 and ends on July 31, with an end-of-summer reading celebration scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 4.
The library system has scheduled over 700 programs and activities this summer to celebrate reading and to encourage the development of lifelong literacy skills.
Special programs include the following events:
- Love Between the Covers: An Evening with Historical Romance Author Michele Sinclair, June 5, 7 p.m., Mountain View Regional Library. Join the award-winning author for a discussion of what it takes to write a book. Call (770) 509-2725 for more information.
- Joe the Magician, June 12, 11 a.m., Powder Springs Library. Call (770) 439-3600 for more information.
- Kids Writing Workshop with author Margaret Johnson-Hodge, June 12, 1:30 p.m., Kennesaw Library. Registration required. For ages 9 to 12. Call (770) 528-2529 for more information and to register.
- Lunch and Learn: Burning Questions, June 13, 1 p.m., East Cobb Library. View the Emmy Award-winning documentary and talk to the filmmaker. Call (770) 509-2730 for more information.
- Native Dreams, July 18, 2 p.m., Vinings Library. All ages are invited to hear Cherokee folklore from artist and Etowah Indian Mound staff member Jeri Beckham. Call (770) 801-5330 for more information.
For more information about these and all events visit cobbcat.org/calendar.
In addition to hosting fun, educational and family-friendly events, the library system also encourages everyone to make reading an important part of their summer with incentives sponsored by Cobb EMC, OverDrive and Stevi B’s.
Children from birth to 5th grade can register to participate in the Summer Reading Program at the library. During registration, they will receive a folder to log the books they have read; they are encouraged to bring their folder back to the library to receive a certificate and to be eligible to win prizes. Stevi B’s has also sponsored a pizza giveaway for participants, and the first 5,000 children to return their folders any time after July 4 can receive a coupon for a free kid’s buffet at any local Stevi B’s location.
Adults and young adults in grades 6-12 are encouraged to submit book reviews. Forms can be picked up at the branches, downloaded from the website at cobbcat.org/srp, or submitted online. Each person who enters a book review will be eligible to win a Sony eReader, courtesy of OverDrive, a provider of downloadable books and audiobooks.
Every person, regardless of age, who completes the library’s reading program will be entered into a drawing to win an iPad 2, courtesy of Cobb EMC. All winners will be announced at the End of Summer Reading Party, which will be held on Saturday, Aug. 4 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Central Library. Any winners not in attendance can pick up their prize at the Cobb County Public Library System branch of their choice.
Participation in the Summer Reading Program is open to the public and is free of charge. For more information on the Summer Reading Program, visit cobbcat.org/srp.
Take a look at other events and activities at or through the Cobb Public Libraries:
- (Wild West Fest)