- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped Vidalia onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. Cavatappi pasta
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For Cheesy Mixture:
- 8 oz. Ricotta
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Few grinds black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add sausage and brown, then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook the pasta separately, and then add pasta to individual bowls.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the cheesy mixture on top of the pasta, top with some Mozzarella and ladle the hot soup over.
*Adapted from 300 Sensational Soups (Carla Snyder and Meredit Deeds)