Maintaining a healthy diet is a goal for many people, but for those with chronic illnesses it can be a matter of life and death.
Fresenius Medical Care North America, the nation’s leading network of dialysis facilities, and Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr., star of Food Network’s Big Daddy’s House, partnered to develop tasty, satisfying and new dialysis-friendly recipes as part of FMCNA’s Healthy Lifestyle initiative aimed at helping people with chronic kidney disease live a better life on dialysis.
Sautéed Beef with Creamy Mushroom and Shallot Sauce
- ¾ pound thinly sliced beef round tip
- ¼ cup (or approximately 3 large) shallots, sliced
- ½ cup white button mushroom
- ½ cup shitake mushrooms
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups cooked Pappardelle pasta, cooked and drained
Optional: Splash of malt vinegar or red wine vinegar
Items needed for garnish:
- Diced red bell peppers
- Lemon slices
- Bunches of parsley
- Finely diced shallots
- ¼ cup finely sliced scallions or chives
- Thinly slice meat and toss in flour.
- Slice shallots thin and set aside.
- If you do not have pre-sliced mushrooms, slice to medium thickness.
- In medium or large-sized non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat.
- Loosely but carefully drop sliced meat into pan of heated oil and brown meat lightly, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté mushrooms and shallots for 3-5 minutes until translucent and lightly browned.
- Return meat to pan, sauté meat with mushroom and shallot mixture.
- Add garlic and onion powder, and stir together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of water and stir.
- Turn off heat and add pepper and sour cream.
- Stir gently.
- Pile noodles on a serving platter and top with beef mixture.
- Top with scallions or chives, and serve.
1 serving = 3 oz. beef, 2 Tbsp. mushroom/shallot sauce, 1 cup pasta
Nutrient Analysis: Beef Mixture
Calories 298 calories Trans Fat 0 grams
Protein 20 grams Cholesterol 63 milligrams
Carbohydrate 10 grams Potassium 430 milligrams
Total Fat 20 grams Phosphorus 213 milligrams
Saturated Fat 4 grams Sodium 67 milligrams
Nutrient Analysis: Pasta
Calories 209 calories Trans Fat 0 grams
Protein 8 grams Cholesterol 46 milligrams
Carbohydrate 39 grams Potassium 40 milligrams
Total Fat 2 grams Phosphorus 112 milligrams
Saturated Fat .6 grams Sodium 6 milligrams
Take a look at more recipes from Fresenius Medical Care and Chef McCargo: