Maintaining a healthy diet is a goal for many people, but for those with chronic illnesses it can be a matter of life and death.
Fresenius Medical Care North America, the nation’s leading network of dialysis facilities, and Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr., star of Food Network’s Big Daddy’s House, partnered to develop tasty, satisfying and new dialysis-friendly recipes as part of FMCNA’s Healthy Lifestyle initiative aimed at helping people with chronic kidney disease live a better life on dialysis.
Crunchy Lemon Herbed Chicken
- 6 (2-ounce) chicken tenders
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (half chilled)
- ½ cup Japanese bread crumbs (Panko)
- ¼ cup of lemon juice, plus zest of one lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons water (1 tablespoon for the egg wash, 2 tablespoons for the finishing of the sauce)
Items needed for garnish:
- Diced red bell peppers
- Lemon slices
- Bunches of parsley
- Finely diced shallots
- Finely sliced scallions
- Pre-heat 2 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat.
- Add zest of one lemon and half the herbs to bread crumbs, save the rest for lemon sauce.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water.
- Place chicken tenders between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with small groove side of mallet until thin, but not ripped.
- Dip chicken in egg wash mixture then in herbed breadcrumb mixture until coated.
- Place breaded chicken in sauté pan with melted butter only after increasing heat to medium.
- Cook chicken, approximately 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove chicken and place on sheet tray to rest.
- In same pan add remaining herbs, salt, and lemon juice, then heat until simmering.
- Turn off heat; cube remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled butter and add to sauce (stir vigorously).
- Slice the chicken on the bias.
- Placed sliced chicken on a plate, pour the sauce over the top, and add garnishes.
For an additional tasty option use the George Foreman® grill. Remember to use non-stick release spray on the grill for a sure way to not burn chicken.
1 serving = 3 oz. portion
Calories 281 calories Trans Fat 0 grams
Protein 19 grams Cholesterol 140 milligrams
Carbohydrate 7 grams Potassium 151 milligrams
Total Fat 20 grams Phosphorus 123 milligrams
Saturated Fat 11 grams Sodium 63 milligrams
Take a look at more recipes from Fresenius Medical Care and Chef McCargo: