1. This might not be news to most of the 58,000 folks who call Marietta home, but Creative Loafing last week cited Marietta as one of the Top 10 neighborhoods in all of metro Atlanta. The alternative newspaper cited it as a city that "has managed to craft a reputation as a diamond in the roughs of suburbia."
The article also gives high marks to Marietta Square, Marietta City Schools and the city's low crime rate and calls Northcutt Stadium, home of the Blue Devils, a "hidden gem."
Downsides: The commute to Atlanta, suburban sprawl and (what?) the Big Chicken.
Check it out yourself at this link.
2. National Crime Victims' Rights starts this week with the theme of "Reshaping the Future, Honoring the Past" and occurs in the middle of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Cobb county officials will be involved in many events including a 2011 Crime Victims' Memorial Service from 7 to 9 p.m. today at First Baptist Church of Decatur and a statewide ceremony and open house on Monday at the Department of Corrections State Offices in Forsyth.
Closer to home, the county is sponsoring domestic violence training, "Stop the Violence: Help Youth Build Healthy Relationships," from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. or 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. on April 19 at Cobb Central Library. Registration for the training is required. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for information. A Sexual Assault and Crime Victims' Rights Awareness vigil will be held at 6 p.m. on April 28 on the Marietta Square.
3. Marietta officials are beginning more than $600,000 in renovations to the lakes at . The upgrades will improve the spillway and dredge the lakes of silt that has collected over the years. The money comes from the $25 million parks bond approved in 2009. The improvements should be complete by next fall.
Fish in the lakes will be caught and transported to the ponds at . The Laurel Park lakes will be restocked by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
4. If you haven't already, go to our Facebook page and click the "Like" button! Or post a comment or share a link!
5. Today is ASPCA Day in honor of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and falls on the anniversary of the day it was incorporated in 1866.