1. Unless you've had your head in the sand or simply don't come from around here, you are aware that this year marks the sesquicentennial of the Civil War. At Marietta Patch, we've provided quite a number of articles about the 150th anniversary (thanks in great part to Todd Hudson's "Marietta History Files" column). We now have a Facebook page devoted to coverage of the anniversary. Check out www.facebook.com/CivilWarPatch for details.
And consider this an open invitation to interact with that page. Post your thoughts, events and photos there. Do it before there's a bicentennial.
2. Cobb County has a series of meetings today, including an agenda work session for the at 9 a.m. in the third floor boardroom at . The county Planning Commission has a work session at 1:30 p.m. at the , while the Transit Authority meets at 6:30 p.m. at 463 Commerce Park, Suite 114.
3. For other civic duty enjoyment, the Marietta Board of Zoning Appeals will hold a work session and meeting beginning at 5 p.m. at .
4. Grilling is an important (make that essential part) of the summer. staff have adopted a series of tips from the National Fire Protection Association to help keep families and homes safe this summer. Check them out at nfpa.org/education.
5. Everything has a birthday, doesn't it? Even the song "Happy Birthday to You" and today is it. It's Happy Birthday to You Day. This song was originally published in 1893 and remains not only one of the oldest songs still under copyright, it is considered the most recognizable song in the world. Learn more here.