1. The Hearts for Heroes II fundraiser for the at the will be a fun-filled patriotic tribute to the U.S. military, our wounded warriors and their families and Lockheed Martin, a fixture in Marietta for 60 years.
The event begins at 6 p.m. today. Tickets cost $30, but a special VIP ticket for $125 includes an after-party. Visit the Strand Web site or call the box office at 770-293-0080 for information.
2. The Marietta City Council at its regular meeting Wednesday night voted to lower height restrictions of new construction around Marietta Square from 85 feet to 54 feet. According to the in an article today, Councilman Philip Goldstein served a 10-page constitutional challenge about the matter, contending that his family has constitutional objections to the new ordinance.
Goldstein hopes to build a 66-foot, mixed-use building on the square to replace the building he razed last year.
3. Helen Goreham, Cobb County commissioner for District 1, will host a town hall for her constituents at 7 p.m. at North Cobb Senior Center, 4100 Highway 293 in Acworth. Call 770-528-3313 for information.
4. The Retired Military Association of North Georgia meets at 2 p.m. today at the East Cobb Senior Center, 3332 Sandy Plains Road. Call 770-565-7499 for information.
5. Today is the International Day of Awesomeness. According to the creators of this day, not everyone can be perfect, but everyone can be awesome. And not by happenstance, they celebrate it on Chuck Norris' birthday. And, yeah, Chuck Norris is awesome...and so are Marietta Patch readers. (Yeah, you saw that coming.)