The 80th annual North Georgia State Fair is in town, and there are many ways to enjoy it at a discount or for free.
Once you’ve paid the admission price, there are shows, concerts and children’s activities that are free of charge. Local businesses are featuring discount tickets, and the fair itself offers great discounts on certain days and times.
Here is a “need-to-know” list that will help your family get the most out of your experience at the fair. The great James H. Drew exposition carnival midway is a cornerstone of the fair, featuring over 40 rides.
North Georgia State Fair
- Sept. 20 through Sept. 30, 2012, recurring daily.
- Jim R. Miller Park, 2245 Callaway Road, Marietta 30008.
- Shuttles will run from the Cobb County government building located at 1150 Powder Springs Road on Saturday from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Admission and Parking: Adults $7; Children 10 and under Free. Parking $3. ATMs available on site.
- Special Admission: Sept. 28 through Sept. 30: Bring 7 non-perishable can good items and receive one free adult admission.
- For more information, go to northgeorgiastatefair.com.
- Thursday, September 27, 4 pm to 11 pm
- Friday, September 28, 4 pm to midnight
- Saturday, September 29, 10 am to midnight
- Sunday, September 30, 12:30 pm to 10 pm
Ride Ticket Prices
- Rides require more than one coupon each.
- Individual tickets: $1 each; 22 tickets for $20, 55 tickets for $50.
Take I-75 to Windy Hill Road (exit #260). Go west approximately five miles on Windy Hill Road and turn left on Austell Road. Turn right on Callaway Road. Jim R. Miller Park will be on your right.
Wednesday, September 26
- Pay-One-Price $18 Unlimited Rides
- Sara Evans in Concert: 8 p.m. Free with paid admission to fair.
Thursday, September 27
- Thompson Square in Concert: 8 p.m. Free with paid admission to fair.
Friday, September 28
- Colt Ford in Concert: Free with paid admission to fair.
- Georgia Lottery Day. $1 off adult admission with a non-winning Georgia Lottery ticket.
- Admission Special- Bring 7 non-perishable can good items and receive 1 free adult admission.
Saturday, September 29
- Mark Wills in Concert at 8 p.m. Free with paid admission to fair.
- Admission Special: Bring 7 non-perishable can good items and receive 1 free adult admission.
- Superior Plumbing Presents Free Admission and Free Rides. 10 to 11 a.m.
Sunday, September 30
Admission Special: Bring 7 non-perishable can good items and receive 1 free adult admission.
Marietta Daily Journal/Neighbors Newspapers School Special: Free admission and rides for students (must have ticket distributed in school) 12:30 to 2 p.m.
- School Special Coupon on the Web. 12:30 to 2 p.m. for students only. This coupon must be presented for free admission and rides. *limit one discount promotion per guest, students 7-18 only.
- Pay-One-Price $25 unlimited rides. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (good till close)
Special Free Acts and Attractions
- Kachunga and the Alligator Show
- Keith King Bike—BMX Stunt Show. For kids and adults alike. Performance features high-flying aerial stunts and mind-boggling technical maneuvers
- Wit Carson Petting Zoo and Pony Rides
- Cobb EMC Local Entertainment Stage. Check out all the local stars, from cloggers to square dancers to local bands. There is something for everyone on the local entertainment stage.
- Award-Winning Non-Commercial Exhibits and Flower Shows. Blue ribbons are the ultimate prize for many who enter their gardening and artistic talents in a wide variety of non-commercial competitive divisions. The competitions are open to people of all ages and are on display.
- Brian Ruth “Master of the Chainsaw” will transform a raw, 2-foot long log into a true work of art with only a chainsaw. Ruth has been carving sculptures with a chainsaw for more than 20 years. Chainsaw carving auction Saturday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. on the Cobb EMC Local Entertainment Stage.
- Oscar the Robot. A sophisticated, robotic people magnet! He entertains crowds with his wonderful wit and outgoing personality wherever he appears, roaming the grounds for 5 hours daily.
- Al the Artist travels about the fairgrounds in his brightly colored bicycle-powered “cartoon car” sketching patrons and drawing smiles. Roaming the grounds for five hours daily.
- Atlanta Puppet Featuring Peter Hart. Enjoy the Atlanta Puppet Show, featuring international marionettes and other puppetry styles performed by master puppeteer Peter Hart.
- Horses, Horses, Horses. Lisa DuFresne will delight and entertain the entire family. She has taken her life-long love and passion for animals and transformed it into a stunning show of animal mastery. She is traveling with three horses and nine American miniatures. Her horses perform five acts, including a comedy show.
New in 2012: X Factory
- All rides require more than one coupon each.