The is accepting applications for citizens to have the chance to experience what it's like to be a police officer when it hosts its Citizens Police Academy this spring.
About Citizens Police Academy
- Free 10-week program
- Will meet every Monday evening, 6 to 9 p.m.
- Classes are scheduled to begin March 5
Participants will learn about the department's operations, see demonstrations, participate in hands-on training given by officers and learn the challenges police officers face on streets through classroom discussion and role-playing scenarios.
Topics covered will include:
- Crime analysis
- Special weapons and tactics (SWAT)
- Crime interdiction unit
- Investigative services
- Traffic enforcement
- Community response unit
- Crime scene processing
How to apply
- Open to public pending background check
- Must be U.S. citizen
- Must be citizen or business owner within incorporated Marietta city limits
- Must be 18 years old
- Must pass criminal history check
- Must complete application and be approved
- Applications: available at front desk of Marietta Police Department, 240 Lemon St., due no later than Feb. 17