Veterans Day is a national holiday honoring all veterans and commemorating those who have passed on.
It is observed annually on Nov. 11, the day on which the Armistice ending World War I between the Allies and Germany was signed in 1918.
The Armistice was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. This year, Nov. 11, 2011, at 11 a.m., the City of Marietta honored the 93rd anniversary of the event with a parade and ceremony.
The seventh annual Marietta Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony was hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Marietta and the .
The keynote speaker was the Honorable Michael J. Bowers, Maj. Gen. GAANG.
Scott Chadwick of the Marietta Kiwanis Club and a U.S. Navy/Vietnam veteran acted as master of ceremonies. The 94th Air Wing Honor Guard of performed the presentation of the colors and the flag-folding ceremony.
The National Anthem was performed by Rebekah Glover, a third grade student at Richards Christian Academy. Mayor Steve Tumlin and Commission Chairman Tim Lee gave remarks at the ceremony as well as Marietta Kiwanis President Ellen Springer.
The event concluded with a 21-gun salute performed by the Honor Guard and "Taps" by Lt. Ken Davis and Deputy Bill Lord of the .
2011 Veterans Day Parade Participants:
- JROTC Honor Guard
- Marching Band
- Grand Marshall, The Honorable Michael J. Bowers
- Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 2681
- Campbell High School Marching Band
- Campbell High School JROTC
- American Legion, Post 160
- Military Vehicles Preservation Association
- Kell High School Marching Band
- Kell High School JROTC
- American Legion, Post 29
- Native American Veterans
- Korean War Veterans
- Hillgrove High School JROTC
- Kennesaw Mountain High School Marching Band
- Pebblebrook High School JROTC
- Disabled American Veterans
- King's Academy JROTC
- Royal Canadian Air Force Detachment
- North Cobb High School Marching Band
- With Honorary Commanders
- Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Lassiter High School JROTC