The Georgia Department of Revenue wants to help students get school ready with a Back to School Sales Tax Holiday. According to the Georgia Retail Association, this year’s holiday begins Friday, Aug. 10 at 12:01 a.m. and ends the following day at midnight.
During the August 10-11 sales tax holiday, the following items will be exempt:
- Clothing and footwear with a sales price of $100.00 or less per item;
- A single purchase, with a sales price of $1,000.00 or less, of personal computers and personal computer-related accessories; and
- General school supplies to be used in the classroom or in classroom-related activities with a sales price of $20.00 or less per item.
The exemption does not apply to:
- Clothing accessories, jewelry, handbags, umbrellas, eyewear, watches, watchbands, cellular devices, furniture, computer-related accessories designed for recreational use, items used in a trade or business or for resale, or rentals; or
- Sales in theme parks, entertainment complexes, public lodging establishments, restaurants, or airports.