and issued a heat advisory to all Marietta residents for the upcoming weekend. Temperatures are forecasted to be over 100 degrees for several days straight.
With this type of forecast, heat related injuries and deaths increase if proper precautions are not taken.
Precautions for a safe weekend:
- Drink PLENTY of water, even if you are not thirsty.
- Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages since they dehydrate the body.
- Drink water even if your activities involve a water park, pool or lake. The sun can still penetrate the surface of the water and dehydrate the body.
- Dress for summer and do outside activities early or late in the day.
- Use sunscreen on exposed skin, ears, nose etc.
- The temperature in your car can rise up to 40 degrees in one hour with an outside temperature of only 80 degrees. During this same time your dashboard, steering wheel and child seats can reach temps of 180-200 degrees as well.
- DO NOT leave any pets or children in unattended vehicles for any amount of time. Since 1998 the United States is averaging about 35 child deaths per year from kids being left in cars.
The elderly, infirm and youth are particularly vulnerable to increased temperatures. All efforts should be made to limit their exposure to the heat and have them remain in an air-conditioned area.
Signs of heat-related emergencies:
Heat Cramps—Painful spasms in muscles of the legs and abdomen, heavy sweating. First aid—Get out of the sun, and take small sips of water; if nausea occurs, discontinue the water.
- Heat Exhaustion—Heavy sweating, weakness, cool, pale, clammy skin, thread pulse, fainting and vomiting are possible. First aid—Remove the person from the sun, loosen their clothes, place cool wet rag cloths on them, and try to get them in air conditioning. Take small sips of water; if vomiting continues, seek medical attention.
- Heat Stroke—The body basically stops sweating. High body temperature, hot dry skin, rapid and strong pulse, and possible unconsciousness. First aid—Seek immediate medical attention, get out of the sun, reduce body temp and call 911.
July 4th in Marietta
- Take a look at .
- Cobb Police offer .
- Take .
- Take a , power and water offices, museums, libraries, the visitors’ bureau, police, fire and other services i.