The is partnering with Kutz4Kids Incorporated, a nonprofit organization, to offer a series of art workshops for children that are designed to help them discover their own heroes.
These inspirational events will be offered during the months of June and July at various library locations, and the resulting art gallery will be on display at the End of Summer Reading Celebration on Saturday, Aug. 5 at the Central Library.
The concept of the workshops, developed by Kutz4Kids founder Justin Tutt, is to empower children to see that their own hero lies within themselves.
Tutt, a recent Kennesaw State University graduate, was inspired to create the event when he saw the opportunity to help children in his own community. He founded his nonprofit organization with his own funds in an effort to raise awareness about the need for children to have opportunities to be educated about their own potential and to be inspired by the successes of others.
During the multi-day workshop, children will be introduced to the concept of the “hero in me” through a series of activities. Volunteers will help the “little heroes” illustrate their own heroes through a variety of art techniques.
At the end of the workshop, the artwork will be collected and then displayed at the End of Summer Reading Celebration, where people will be invited to meet the young artists and talk about the process of finding “the hero in me.”
The workshops are free and open to children ages six to 13. All materials will be provided. The workshops will be offered at the following libraries. Space is limited and registration is required. To register, parents should call the location they would like the child to attend. A parental permission slip will also be required.
- Hattie G. Wilson Library: June 4 and June 5, 3 to 5 p.m. To register, call (770) 528-2526. The artwork from this workshop will be displayed at a special gallery opening at the library on Saturday, June 23 at 11 a.m.
- Central Library: June 19 and June 20, 1 to 3 p.m. To register, call (770) 528-2320.
- East Marietta Library: June 25 and June 29, 1 to 3 p.m. To register, call (770) 509-2711.
- Powder Springs Library: July 9 and July 10, 3 to 5 p.m. To register, call (770) 439-3600.
- Stratton Library: July 17 and July 18, 1 to 3 p.m. To register, call (770) 528-2522.
- South Cobb Regional Library: July 19 and July 20, 2 to 4 p.m. To register, call (678) 398-5834.