Thursday, October 4, 2012
A haunted house opens on Marietta Square, Ghosts of Marietta launches a month of daily tours, the 19th annual Habitat Road Race and Make a Wish Georgia Race take place, and more—look at this weekend's happenings in Marietta.
- THE NEIGHBORHOOD FILES
- Melissa Kory
Thursday, October 4, 2012
1. The final Art Walk of the season takes place on Marietta Square from 5 to 9 p.m. this Friday 2. The 19th annual Habitat Road Race—5K, 1 mile and Tot Trot is Saturday, Oct. 6. The proceeds from the race will be used to build Mt. Bethel’s 32nd Habitat for Humanity house. The post race celebration will include refreshments, a dj, food, vendor exhibits, door prizes and fun for kids. The race starts at 8 a.m.; admission is $20 by Oct. 3 and $25 after Oct. 3.
Mt. Bethel UMC,
4385 Lower Roswell Rd.
, Marietta. 3. On Saturday, Oct. 6 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. come out for the 5K race benefitting Make a Wish Georgia. The race will begin and end at the Marietta Square. Registration is $25 for untimed 5K walk/run, $35 for timed 5K run; Children 6-…
Thursday, August 23, 2012
The Glover Park Concert Series; martinis, music and art at the Marietta-Cobb Museum of Art; Brew with a View, "The Wizard of Oz" and "Mamma Mia!" at the Strand; "Legally Blonde" and more are on deck for Marietta this weekend.
1. The Cobb County Classic Rodeo is riding into Jim R. Miller Park in Marietta. Beginning at 8 p.m. on Friday, August 24, and Saturday, August 25, the fun will last about two hours each night. Admission at the gate is $15 for adults and $12 for children. Ages five and under are admitted free. 2. The Marietta-Cobb Museum of Art is hosting Martinis & Music on Friday, August 24. Enjoy Martinis, hors d’oeuvres and musical entertainment along with access to all exhibitions from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. 3. Friday, enjoy the sounds of Yacht Rock Schooner (Party Rock) under the stars and be sure to bring a picnic and blankets or set up your lawn chairs after 4 p.m. at the Glover Park Concert Series. Personal tables can be set up in the street on …
Friday, August 10, 2012
"The Best of Broadway" at the Strand Theatre, "Legally Blonde the Musical" at the Cobb Civic Center, "Avenue Q" at the Alley Stage and "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"—it's a weekend full of theater and music in Marietta.
1. The bright lights of Broadway are coming to Marietta Square in a high-energy musical revue of fast paced fun with knockout voices and jaw-dropping dancers performing the very best songs from the heart of the American theatre industry. The Best of Broadway is the first of this year’s Strand produced revues to have a two weekend run from August 10-18. 2. Legally Blonde the Musical is coming to stage at The Cobb Civic Center’s Jennie T. Anderson Theatre August 10 through 26. Get your pink on and join Atlanta Lyric Theatre for this all-singing, all-dancing, feel-good musical comedy. 3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is a 1979 musical thriller with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and libretto by Hugh Wheeler. Catch the …
Thursday, August 2, 2012
This weekend in Marietta take a helicopter ride over the city, enjoy art on Marietta Square, stop by the Marietta Square Farmers' Market or see Marietta's "Smoke on the Mountain."
1.Take a helicopter ride over Marietta on Saturday, Aug. 4. Rides will take place between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. from the intersection of South Cobb Drive and Atlanta Road. Tickets are $35. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Aviation Wing of the Marietta Museum of History 2. It's time for the First Friday Art Walk, a free self-guided tour aroun d Marietta Square. Along with more than 30 merchants hosting artists in their stores, this year's First Friday Art Walk will feature Artists' Alley, an intimate exhibit of juried artists showing a wide variety of styles.The event takes place from 5 to 9 p.m. 3. The bluegrass revival Smoke on the Mountain, starring members of the original Theatre in the Square cast, will be presented by the …
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Get out to a discussion with the author of "The Elf on the Shelf," Out of Box Theatre's presentation of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" and more fun on Marietta Square.
1. Marietta's Carol Aebersold turned a family tradition into a New York Times bestseller. Aebersold will discuss her book "The Elf on the Shelf" and how it became a phenomenon on Thursday at the Marietta Museum of History. Call 770-794-5710 for more information. 2. Experience 16 comedies, 11 tragedies, ten histories and assorted sonnets, all brought to you by three actors in 97 sminutes. Out of Box Theatre presents The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) [revised] in Next Stage's Alley Stage off the Square through July 21. 3. The Strand will be showing Basically Frightened: The Musical Madness of Col. Bruce Hampton, Ret., a documentary about Hampton's music and impact, featuring names such as Dave Matthews, Billy Bob Thorton…
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Family Day at the Marietta-Cobb Museum of Art, the Summer Craft Beer Tasting at the Marietta Wine Market, dating old portraits with Pamela Cole and more—check out what's going on this weekend in Marietta.
1. On Friday, June 29, come out to enjoy the Glover Park Concert Series—China Grove (Doobie Bros Tribute Band). Concerts begin at 8 p.m. Get more information on the Glover Park Concert Series here. 2. It’s time for the First Sunday Family Day at the Marietta-Cobb Museum of Art. The first Sunday of each month from 1 to 4 p.m., you can join the museum for an afternoon of fun activities for the family. 3. Join the Marietta Wine Market on Saturday, June 30 from 2 until 4 p.m. for the Summer Craft Beer Tasting. Along with the beers, the market will be serving grilled chicken, black beans and chips with a souvenir glass to keep. Proceeds from the event will go to the Homeless Pets Foundation sponsored by Dr. Good of Town & Country Vet. The cost …
Thursday, June 21, 2012
This weekend in Marietta check out the Ghosts of Marietta, Marietta Trolley tours, the Marietta Square Farmers Market, music at the Strand Theatre and more.
1. The Third Annual Georgia Dachshund Races will be at Jim Miller Park in Marietta, June 23-24. Events include costume, coat, size, nose and an obstacle course contest. 2. Join the Strand Theatre for an evening of Hot Live Jazz and Cool drinks under the stars on the rooftop on Friday, June 22. 3. Gypsy will play at the Strand Theatre from June 15 to July 1. The musical is loosely based on the 1957 memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee, the famous striptease artist, and focuses on her mother, Momma Rose, whose name has become synonymous with "the ultimate show-business mother." 4. Join the Marietta Trolley Co. for a ride through Marietta history Thursday through Saturday at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Highlights of the tour …
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Get out with your friends and family this weekend in Marietta with the Cobb County Classic Rodeo, Juneteenth Celebration on Marietta Square, theater and tours.
1. It's time for the Cobb County Classic Rodeo at Jim Miller Park on Friday at 8 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults, $12 for children and free for children under five. 2. Enjoy music under the stars on Marietta Square with the Cobb County NAACP Branch’s Juneteenth concert on Friday, June 15 at 7 p.m. The event features Jazz, R&B, Spoken Word and more. The free evening concert kicks off the Annual Juneteenth Celebration. Bring your lawn chairs, picnic baskets, blankets and enjoy this fun filled evening. 3. The Cobb County branch of the NAACP is hosting the 9th annual Marietta Juneteenth Celebration on Marietta Square on Saturday, June 16, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Juneteenth Celebration celebrates Juneteenth, the name given to the date June …
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Take a look at the weekend happenings in Marietta, including the Marietta Soap Box Derby, a music festival, and trolley and ghost tours.
1. Come out for Praise in the Park on Saturday, June 9, at Jim Miller Park. Praise in the Park is a free admission community festival hosted by Highpoint Christian Tabernacle. Food, games, arts and crafts, doorprizes, pony rides, a free full gospel concert with various artists and more. 2. Come out to watch the Marietta Soap Box Derby on June 9, in the parking lot of Marietta High School. SBD Racing is for kids ages 7 to 17 years of age. The Marietta Soap Box Derby race is hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Marietta. 3. Join the Marietta Trolley Co. for a ride through Marietta history Thursday through Saturday at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Highlights of the tour include Marietta Square/Glover Park, the Western & …
Thursday, May 24, 2012
This weekend in Marietta get out with art, join the Windies on the Square, enjoy music in Glover Park, take a ride on the Marietta Trolley or get your haunt on with a ghost walk.
1. Come out for an Open Figure Drawing event at the Marietta-Cobb Museum of Art on Saturday from 6 to 9 p.m. Admission is $10. Dry media only. Bring your own drawing materials, boards or easels. Call 770-528-1444 x16 or email Emily Ryals at email@example.com for more information. 2. Join your favorite "Gone With the Wind" characters for a weekend with cast members, an auction, costumes, awards and the Twelve Oaks Barbecue. Learn more about the Belles, Beaus and Barbecue event and the Marietta Gone With the Wind Museum here. 3. Still Swinging (Big Band) will kick off the night on Friday, May 25 at 8 p.m. on Marietta Square. Blankets and lawn chairs may be set up in the park after 4 p.m. for the 2012 Glover Park Concert …